Solo travel, yeah right! So as a southern bred belle, I was raised to get a good education, get a great job, get married and enjoy the good life that we are bred to believe will come with hard work, sacrifice and God’s will. So through the past few years I got pretty close to the ultimate dream life, had all the boxes checked off and was on track to cross the finish line, until I wasn’t anymore.
Now into my early 30s, I’m recently single again, starting at a new job and having to prove myself yet again. I found myself needing a break and wanting to go on vacation but no one to go with. My girlfriends were interested in going somewhere, but it is always so much harder to corral a group of busy women together than herding sheep. Plus most of my trips in the past were always with my now ex-beaux.
So after talking with one of my girlfriends on what to do, after my planned girls trip to Mexico got cancelled for all different types of reasons (i.e. work-related, catch find cheap flights or family issues) she mentioned going alone, and I was totally against it. I was convinced that I’d be kidnapped, get lost or just be lonely. Aren’t vacations supposed to be fun? And how can you do that alone or even take pictures lol. But after reading a few articles and surveying a few friends I ended up deciding to go to Belize for my first solo trip.
Tips for traveling solo:
- Look for countries that English is the primary language or at least is a secondary language taught
- If you are staying at a hotel, make sure it is close to the populated areas (i.e. tourist areas, beaches, downtown area or near other resorts)
- To keep yourself busy:
- Book an excursion to get the best chance to see an overview of the main attractions at your destination
- Bring a book to read
- Go to a restaurant or bar with a TV to watch. I’ve never went to a restaurant bar and not had the bartender or other patrons strike up a conversation or turn down chatting for that matter
- Seek out a museum or other historical buildings and learn about the destination you are visiting. Always make sure to learn about the places you are visiting
- Finally, don’t worry about keeping busy and be still and just enjoy the beautiful wonders that God created
- If you want some more travel tips, check out the Travel Noire site, one of my go to places for content
The reason why I love traveling so much is because I feel it brings me closer to God. I am removed from the day to day stresses of life for a moment and I’m able to focus things other than myself. I feel one with the creator and His wondrous works. Next time you go away, whether its overseas, to another state or a staycation, take the time to marvel at the world we live in.
But God made the earth by his power; he founded the world by his wisdom and stretched out the heavens by his understanding ~ Jeremiah 10:12